The AAJA National Convention in Las Vegas, from Aug. 10 to 13 this year, will be a great opportunity to network with other journalists from around the country, to participate in panel discussions with seasoned journalists, and to attend a career fair and resume critique sessions.
AAJA-Philadelphia will help pay the expenses for one member to go to the annual convention.
Our ability to do so comes from the kind generosity of our donor, John Curley, the former president, chairman and CEO of the Gannett company, who is a strong supporter of the Philadelphia chapter of AAJA.
WHAT: The chapter will reimburse the selected member up to $1,000 in expenses to attend the convention. These expenses include the registration fee for the convention, transportation (airfare), and hotel costs. (You may be asked to share your hotel room with another AAJA-Philly member.) We will not be reimbursing for meals, taxis, or other local transportation unless your other costs are less than $1,000 total. In that case, we will reimburse these other expenses for a total of up to $1,000 as long as you have the receipts.
– You must be a current dues-paying AAJA-Philly chapter member to apply.
– We will consider current students or professionals who are trying to establish themselves in the journalism field.
– Send a one-page essay telling the AAJA-Philly board why you want to go to the convention, how you think you will benefit from it, and why you need help with the expenses. E-mail your essay to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: Apply by the end of the day, Tuesday, August 2
AAJA-Philly board members will review all applications and announce the scholarship winner on Wednesday, April 3.
Expenses will be reimbursed in the form of a check after the convention. You must give us copies of your receipts.
(If a board member wants to apply, he/she will not be part of the judging process.)
The winning applicant will also be required to:
– Give an informal talk at an AAJA-Philly chapter meeting, about what you learned at the convention.
– Assist in the planning, organizing or day-of duties for an AAJA-Philly event this year.
MORE INFORMATION: For more info about the convention, visit: http://www.aaja.org/category/convention/las-vegas-2016/
To see the registration fee and schedule, visit: http://www.aaja.org/schedule2016/
We encourage everyone who wants to go and who needs help with expenses to apply for this!